In summer 2019, I did a three month internship at Rackspace. I worked as a UX intern with the UX team of ObjectRocket and I was responsible for evaluating and improving their new database platform which helped increase the satisfaction of users and bring new customers.
May - August 2019
The new database platform had several brand new features that we didn't have on previous ones such as fully managed metrics service, role-based access control, new datastores, etc. Thus, the process was all about finding and applying data that can improve the platform.
1. Performed an audit on both new and old platforms to identify problems.
2. Analyzed current user flows and past customer's support tickets to uncover potential gapsbetween user's expectations and the design.
3. Created a user testing plan according to the previous findings.
4. Conducted the user tests with 8 real customers and analyzed the results.
5. Designed solutions based on the insights from user testings and the business's goals of the corporation.
6. Increased satisfaction of users by 40%.
Takeaways & Lessons
- • Justify design decision
There are rationales behind every design. The ability to compare and justify design decisions is an essential skill for a designer.
- • Define gaps and move forward under ambiguity
Not every problem will be well-defined so a designer has to zoom in and out during the process to ensure the design is on the right track.
- • Coordinate goals of business and users
Sometimes there are conflicts between a business' and users' goals and reaching out to feedbacks and thoughts is always the best way to solve the conflicts.
- • Appreciation and gratitude make the world better
One thing I learned about ObjectRocket is that people are generous about giving kudos and credits! It makes the environment supportive and cooperative.